Code of Conduct for ASTC Conferences, Events, Online Engagement, and Project Participation
The Association of Science and Technology Centers (ASTC) Annual Conference—and other professional meetings, events, webinars, and projects organized by ASTC—are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone attending or participating. We do not tolerate harassment of people in any form, and we empower all participants in our community to actively engage in creating a friendly and safe environment for all.
This Code of Conduct is part of ASTC’s mission to champion and support science and technology centers and museums—institutions that support lifelong science learning, connect science and society, engage diverse communities, and partner to tackle global and local challenges. ASTC holds fundamental values to seek out and engage in diversity of ideas, perspectives, backgrounds, disciplines, knowledge systems, and approaches. Our world is rich in diversity, and ASTC embraces those differences, including in ability, age, color, ethnicity, race, family or marital status, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy and related medical conditions, language, national origin, political affiliation, religion, socioeconomic status, veteran status, health status, and other dimensions of diversity.
As an attendee, presenter, exhibitor, sponsor, or guest at the ASTC Annual Conference and other events or programs organized by ASTC, I will:
- Conduct myself with integrity, respect, honesty, and credibility.
- Approach all events and interactions in accordance with the highest ethical standards of professionalism and personal conduct.
- Avoid all activities that will cause damage to or discredit my organization, ASTC, or myself.
- Embrace ASTC’s diverse community of professionals and learners, and be inclusive of all audiences in my presentations, demonstrations, and conversations.
- Seek help from ASTC staff if I do not know how to fulfill any of the stated actions.
This Code of Conduct is in place to protect the safety of all participants. Contact, language, or imagery of a violent, threatening, sexual, discriminatory, demeaning, or disruptive nature is not appropriate for any in-person or online conference or project venue, including talks, workshops, parties, and online forum or media. If you witness any misconduct of this code, please report it to any ASTC staff member:
- In-person through the conference facility, including at the front desk.
- Online by emailing email@example.com.
Attendees or project participants asked to stop any harassing or discriminatory behavior are expected to comply immediately. ASTC leadership, at their sole discretion, may take action to redress anything disrupting the event or project making the environment unsafe for participants, including asking any individuals to leave the event or project at their own expense and without a refund of any fees paid.